Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Spring Encampment



Finally! A picture for you guys! Thanks for being so patient. This was scanned out of a newspaper which explains the funky quality. There is a story behind how the photorapher caught me this way. I was actually watching the militia muster and raising of the flag early Saturday morning. Something caught my eye and I looked away, right into the lens of the camera guy! I jumped and apologized laughing. He laughed and said it was alright. Then he asked me to "re-pose". So I did. I had no idea he worked for the newspaper! I thought he was just a tourist! Oh well. This the bake oven up at the house. From left to right: Janessa, our friend Evan, and Mumsie. My mom runs the bake oven and we do make bread, cookies, biscuits, cornbread, cakes and cobbler all inside. It works quite well and the food is of course delicious!

I borrowed this pic from my friend Jessica over at http://anthonycourter.blogspot.com
We (mainly I with a lot of help, since I was the only one who had made it before ina churn) were making butter. Janessa (on the left) decided to give it a try. From left to right: Janessa, Jessica, and Me. We did this on the porch of the house. It took about an hour and a half to make about four cups of butter from a gallon or so of cream.
I love doing this. Churning butter and baking is one of my favorite things to do at Mansker's. By the way, we were also making baked apples during this time and Jessica was making cooked greens. So much fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment