Monday, August 2, 2010

100th post!!!! w00t!

Yup. That's right. 100 posts.

Actually, that's kinda sad considering how long I've had this blog. >_>

Anyways. Updates!

School has started in full swing this year...Oh. I don't think I've ever mentioned this. I'm
homeschooled.
Yup. And I'm a senior this year. Which means lotsa stuff to do. And because I just want to tell it to something..here's the list.
  1. Senior Project at my church: helping out in the student ministry and girls ministry as well as helping out in the nursery for an hour each Sunday.
  2. PE credit: Team manager for my lil sis's soccer team. This means soccer practice on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, and games on Fridays and Saturdays. Oh me. What have I done. -_-
  3. Debate and Worldview classes on Thursday.
  4. Humanities class on Wednesday.
  5. French II on Tuesday.
  6. Babysitting on Friday nights (twice a month) and cleaning houses on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Gotta make some income somehow.
  7. PLUS. I am still running the Least of These ministry at my church.
So. All that on top of other subjects (Geometry, dual enrollment for a computer class, and CLEPing out of a Biology class, and a Brit Lit cred I'm doing myself) I have to try to fit in my reading lists, re-enacting, mission trips, dancing, piano, and in general, a life. :P

Speaking of reading lists, want to see mine? Hoo boy.

Humanities:
  • The Song of Roland - author unknown - medieval French literary work from 11th century
  • The Divine Comedy - Dante
  • The Decameron - Giovanni Boccaccio
  • Caedmon's Hymn - oldest extant Old English poem composed between 658 and 680
Worldview :
  • Radical - David Platt
  • I would Die for You - Brent and Deanna Higgins
Brit Lit:
  • Twelth Night
  • Much Ado About Nothing
  • As You Like It
  • All's Well That Ends Well
  • The Tempest
  • MacBeth
  • Hamlet
  • The Genlemen of Verona
All by Shakespeare. I'm studying his works as my Brit Lit cred. Luckily, I love the dear old fellow and am looking forward to this subject....unlike some of my friends. :)

Pre-College Requisite:
  • No Doubt About It: The Case for Christianity - Winifried Corduan
  • Mere Christianity - C.S. Lewis
  • Plato: Complete Works - Plato
  • Dictionary of Philosophy and Religion: Eastern and Western Thought - William L. Reese
  • Politics - Aristotle
  • The Law - Bastiat
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
  • Leviathon - Thomas Hobbes
  • The Crucible - Arthur Miller
  • Discourse on the Origin of Inequality - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Wealth of Nations - Adam Smith
  • Gulliver's Travels - Jonathan Swift
  • The Annals of Imperial Rome - Tacitus
  • War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
  • Myths from Mesopotamia - anonymous
  • The Oresteia - Aeschylus
  • The Landmark Herodotus: The Histories - Herodotus
  • The Illiad - Homer
  • On the Nature of Things - Lucretius
  • History of the Peloponnesian War - Thucydides
  • Clouds - Aristophanes
  • Oedipus Rex - Sophocles
  • City of God - Augustine
I recently visited my future college (Yes, I have decided) and talked to one of the professors. After discussing it with my parents, we realized that it might be wise for me to go ahead and begin reading some of the texts that will be used in my classes. Those are listed above. Yes, I realize that the majority of these are hardcore intense reading. And it has started to look quite imposing, but I'm up for the challenge.

Speaking of college, and deciding college for that matter, I've chosen:
The College at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary.
Yeah..long name. But it's an amazing school and has everything I could ever hope for in a college. I'll be doing a double major of Christian Studies and English with a possible minor in History, before continuing on for my Masters in Divinity. Yup. Big plan. It'll be six years, but I excited, frankly.

So that's the reason for all the books. I think I'm going to put some sort of counter on the side bar keeping track. Hm. Good thought. Then all you guys can keep up with my success (or failure) of reading that monster list. :P Anyone want to join me on some of them? I'd love to have people to discuss it with. *hinthint* ;)

Now. Back to school work.

No comments:

Post a Comment