Monday, August 23, 2010

On poetry, and the common expression of disinterest delivered unto it.

The other day at church I was involved in a conversation about Poetry. Now, I love poetry and think it's beautiful when done right. And understandable.

However, some people don't think so. Several of my friends, [and no offense to you. don't worry, I don't say names. ;)] think poetry is impossible to understand or interpret. Or that you have to be brilliant to do so.

I beg to differ.

While some poems are very much like that. Confusing, having opposite underlying meanings, but poetry can be a wonderful expression of art. So, this week I will be posting a few of my favorites and please see if you can just enjoy the beauty of them, as they are.

Day One

When I Have Fears
by
John Keats

WHEN I have fears that I may cease to be
Before my pen has glean’d my teeming brain,
Before high piled books, in charact’ry,
Hold like rich garners the full-ripen’d grain;
When I behold, upon the night’s starr’d face,
Huge cloudy symbols of a high romance,
And think that I may never live to trace
Their shadows, with the magic hand of chance;
And when I feel, fair creature of an hour!
That I shall never look upon thee more,
Never have relish in the faery power
Of unreflecting love! - then on the shore
Of the wide world I stand alone, and think
Till Love and Fame to nothingness do sink.

On another note:

I have finished Twelfth Night, I Would Die for You, and am onto As You Like It, Radical, and Song of Roland. And still no one has joined me. *sigh* You puny non-bookworms.

WHERE IS MY BROTHER?
[I know you read this Josh!!! :P]

3 comments:

  1. I'VE READ AS YOU LIKE IT AND I LOVE SHAKESPEARE. *nodnod*

    ReplyDelete
  2. *laughs* I know. I've read it before, now I read it again for a Brit Lit credit. Care to share, my favorite Brit? :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey - noticed that you're a fellow re-enactor, fellow Christian, fellow bookworm, fellow writer, fellow sewer... How could I not comment? Unfortunately, my reading is rather lacking these days, mostly because I'm busy with re-enacting and with a new program (Keepers at Home) that I'm about to start for some little girls in my area. Oh well - there's always cold, rainy days coming up for reading, right?

    ReplyDelete